Wednesday, 14 March 2012

baby girl





Jacqueline is almost six weeks old now and we are adjusting and enjoying her so much. I feel pretty much completely normal now, though the first few days postpartum I felt like my body was falling apart, and it took about 2 weeks to be comfortable! Part of that was the excitement we had after six days when we ended up in the ER twice in one day (not for baby :), but all is well now and we were well cared for. It was good to have my mom here for a few weeks, and she and Joel really spoiled me in the road to recovery.

It's amazing how much time is consumed by your baby. I really love it, but we laugh about how hard it is to do anything else - trying all day to take a shower, or never answering an email, or the many other things that could be worked on. Sometimes I feel like I've been less efficient at recovery and learning her patterns or beginning a normal routine again than other new moms, even with all the help I've had, but it's getting there and if I think about that with every aspect of motherhood it would be very unhelpful! Jacqueline is just starting to play with us a little bit and use her voice, and we're excited for that to develop even though we want her to stay little. It's so much fun when she's interactive, wide-eyed and with a little bobbing head :)

 After a growth spurt at five weeks, Jacqueline was staying on the 2-hour schedule which was pretty exhausting (especially since she takes an hour to eat) but with a little help is finally back to 3 hours now which is really nice. Her body is like a little clock! Nursing has been smooth thankfully, and again we had an abundance of of help from many sources - lots of encouragement, my midwives, a lactation consultant friend, and the midwife-naturopath who did our 3-day check-up.
She weighed a wonderful 9 pounds 15 ounces at our last midwife appointment today!

Most of our pictures have been blurry due to the lighting in our room, but here are a few favorites.

Love,
Cait

4 comments:

LeAnna said...

Oh, those newborn days are both a haze, and like a dream. She is just precious, and it looks like everyone is smitten. Just the way it's supposed to be. :) I had an every 2hr baby as well, but I won't tell you how long he stuck to that schedule. Might be depressing. HA! Glad to hear (and see) that everyone is doing well. Precious girl you have there, Mama!

Brette-Renee said...

oh my goodness, Cait. So beautiful. Thank you so much for sharing! <3
-brette beck

Lostariel said...

I can't even take her in, she's so precious.

Staceydotdot said...

Congratulations Cait! She is absolutely beautiful! Enjoy these wonderful hazy days. xxxx