It's hard to keep up with a garden with two littles running around (or in danger of escaping from the yard), but we are trying to take advantage of the wonderful garden space available in our rented house. I'm trying to grow a sunflower house for Jacqueline like my grandma did for me when I was little, and also planted a whole range of flower seeds inspired by her garden bouquets. Even when she flies across the country or world to visit, she always has a bouquet in her suitcase, wrapped in wet paper towels. I always wanted to be practical when going to the effort of gardening, but I've realized how happy it makes me to have fresh flowers all over the house, and now I want to grow as many as possible. So in went zinnias, sweet williams, sweet peas, columbines, poppies, and hollyhocks (only to realize the last two will take a long time to actually bloom!), along with the calendula, hydrangeas, magnolia tree, peonies, lavender, bulbs and flowering bushes that were already here. It's certainly a blessing to have had a florist as the previous renter! I'm also hoping to grow a huge amount of cilantro in order to cook a lot of Ottolenghi recipes, lots of other herbs, cucumbers, zucchini, lettuce, and carrots and radishes mostly for the fun of Jacqueline seeing them grow.
What are you planting?
p.s. peonies are still my favorite.
1 comment:
I had herbs growing in my garden box again but they died very quickly. Not sure if they were unhealthy when I got them or exactly what happened. I hope someday soon we have a yard I can plant in.
Post a Comment