One of the things I've had the most fun experimenting with in the kitchen is homemade ice cream. We don't have an ice cream maker, but with the good custard base and a hand mixer, it is still possible to make amazing, smooth, creamy ice cream!
The first recipe I used was David Lebovitz's Mint Chip. Mint chocolate chip is Joel's favorite flavor, and it sounded like something good to try.
Oh. My. Goodness.
The mint is incredible. After trying this, nothing else will ever taste quite as good! (And I'm generally more of a triple chocolate kind of person) The flavor is fresh and herbal, and it turned out to be the palest of natural greens.
Other flavors I've tried so far are honey-lavender (strong but wonderful, especially with shortbread), cheesecake, a chocolate berry frozen yogurt, and pink peppermint. All it takes is a freezer, an early start, a mixer or even a spatula, and being home all day. Having a machine would be fantastic, but don't be afraid to try it without one!
4 comments:
Sounds yummy! :)
That sounds like a lot of fun...How do you make it without an ice cream maker?
I was reading about ice cream making today in my book (farmer boy - Little house on the prarie series) so this made me smile =)
It does sound like something fun to try sometime =)
ummm....realllly wanting an ice cream now.
Post a Comment