Monday, 31 January 2011

strawberry cream

This summer in Sequim, Washington, we stayed at the shore with the woman who was like a second mother to my dad. Nellie has a big house and a big dog, and a visit always includes a long walk on the windblown, driftwood covered beach. She had a big tub of strawberries, which drove my siblings wild with excitement as my family doesn't buy them here. But to eat them for dessert, we first had to dip them in a white bowl and then in brown sugar. I saw the sour cream as I was cleaning the berries, but the little ones were much more willing to try it when they didn't know what it was!
Last week I saw boxes of Egyptian strawberries for a dollar, so I got a bunch and we had this for dessert. The sour cream isn't quite as 'sour' (I couldn't find the American brand), but I think Joel approved :)

Try it; it really is an extra fun way to eat strawberries! I would recommend dark brown su
gar though; I didn't have any at the time.

They went well with a granola recipe the next morning :)


What is your favorite use for sour cream?

Love,
Cait

4 comments:

Autumn said...

I *love8 eating strawberries that way. Blueberries and grapes are swell that way, as well!

But who doesn't love sour cream on tacos!? Most likely my favorite use. =)

Graysie Carreiro said...

I've eaten strawberries that way since I first tryed them one summer at my grandparents house on the beach. ;) It's absolutely delicious...

L said...

I have many favorite uses for sour cream, most sweet. This one however is surprisingly savory and very good!

http://family.go.com/food/party-appetizer-recipes-pg/?CMP=NLC-NL_Fcom_7LittleThings_122710__party-appetizer-recipes-pg#Seven%20Layer%20Dip;3

LeAnna said...

I miss sour cream sooo bad! I can't eat dairy while nursing the little one, and I've missed sour cream in lots of places...chili, tacos, coffee cake... ;)