Ever since I realized it wasn't as far as I thought it was, and therefore in walking distance, I've been walking to our little Carrefoure Express most weeks to supplement the weekly grocery trip. It's nice to get fresher produce than from just once a week, and I like the system. It's about a 25 minute walk and roughly a quarter of the way down the length of JLT. Anyway, a few weeks ago I thought I'd take my camera with me and show you a little piece of my life, and of Dubai for those of you stateside.
So, this is our tower, Lakepoint, in the middle. We are on floor 26 of 45.
I turn left at the Bonnington hotel, which is a hotel and looks twice as pretty in the dark. They have several nice restaurants, and Joel and I have gone a couple times for dessert. Around Christmas time they were building a huge gingerbread house in the shape of the Bonnington! A Spinney's has also just opened near here, but going there is slightly more expensive and it skips my favorite part of the walk.
This is Al Mas tower, by far the tallest in JLT. Al Mas means 'the diamond' in Arabic. It's an office building and on the bottom floor is a Caffe Nero, a favorite cafe during our courtship :)
The time of day makes this picture much more flattering, because the 'lake' is greenish-brown and not much to look at! Here you can see the obscene amount of construction underway in Dubai. Cranes, holes, skeleton buildings, dirt paths, sand, and underpaid laborers everywhere. Our building is the last in the row to the left of this picture.
After walking up steps I am at a cluster of buildings on the opposite side of JLT and Carrefoure is right there. I love walking in and seeing the all of the colorful rows of fruit and vegetables! We really do get wonderful produce here (or so I am told, by people who've actually grocery shopped in America). I hope you've enjoyed this little tour of our most immediate neighborhood :) Dubai is a much more complex neighborhood to tackle!
Much love,
Cait
No comments:
Post a Comment