Joel and I bought these three books, because they seemed like a fun but well-informed way to learn about perfumes. I've only read the first so far, which I've mentioned before, and it was incredible! Such a fantastic book about travel, the history of scent, perfume making, the sources, and the ethics. Crazy. I would highly recommend it (to anyone, not just someone interested in fragrances!) and look forward to reading the other two, by a different author.
Did you know that there is a perfume critic for the New York Times? His reviews aren't the most thorough since he does five or six in an article, but if you search youtube you will find the funniest videos of people giving 10 minute reviews on one scent.
Another fact I quickly learned (but only recently applied) : Displaying your perfumes and colognes on a pretty tray on your vanity or dresser (like ours!), or brightly sunlit bathroom is a bad idea. Perfumes can 'turn,' or suddenly change in makeup, and a familiar scent can smell either completely different or plain bad. They are affected by sunlight and air, so keeping them closed up is a good way to store them. Ours are now on an easily accessible shelf in our closet. For this reason, it's also a good idea to buy smaller bottles, even if the big bottle is a better deal, unless you only use one scent and know you will use it up.
My dad's mother was a masseuse, and she had a small room in her house dedicated to her massage table. It was very simple, but because of it the eyemasks filled with lavender were fused into my memory. This Christmas, Kyleigh gave me a long sachet similar to those masks, stuffed with lavender from our wedding. It was the perfect gift, and now every time I take a shirt out of my drawer, it smells like lavender for several minutes. Lavender will always remind me of Grandma Fox and be a beloved scent, even if I have many favorites.
Maybe it will only be for my own amusement, but I'd love to write a couple posts about our favorite scents, a favorite perfume house, and the things I learned in Celia Lyttelton's book. It's a beautiful and incredibly complex art. One of my favorite little joys every day is picking out what scent to wear.
Do you love scents? Do you wear perfume? Do you love fragranced soaps and lotions as well? (I do too! But I don't like mixing them too much.)
With love,
Cait
8 comments:
What a lovely post Kate! I too am in love with the magic of perfume. I love the arabic oils and the bukhoor and layering scents.Heavy scents, mostly Chanel. I have beautiful glass bottles of my favourite perfumes on a mirrored tray, which I know is bad but it looks so pretty! Theres something sensual and feminine about those gorgeous perfume bottles with the ball pump atomiser. I love them! so glamourous! I must go one day and get a custom perfume made especially for me. The epitome of luxury in my opinion!Must read your book!
I DO love scents...I have found that they are one of the strongest ties I have to certain memories (probably because of where the memory lobe is located in the brain). I also love soaps...ever since I went to Bali I've been in love with natural soaps, and have started making my own. I have made about 6 different kinds so far!
I DO love scents. I've found that they are one of the strongest ties to a lot of my memories (probably because of where the memory lobe is located in the brain, near the nasal cavity area). I also have had a fascination with natural/organic soaps ever since I went to Bali, and I've made several of them last fall, and this year so far. It's also fascinating what things can go INTO soaps to act as natural exfoliates that you wouldn't normally think of, and they can be pretty, if you just want to use them as decoration. :)
....aaaaand I just realized i posted twice, thinking my comment got lost in cyber space...oops!
I'm not much of a connoisseur of perfumes and don't wear them very often but several years ago I toured a perfume factory in France and it was so interesting and informative. I also learned that perfume keeps better in dark places (like what you said about not leaving them out) so I keep mine in my drawers. We also learned about "noses" -meaning certain people who have a very very keen sense of smell and can distinguish different fragrances within a perfume, and not just the blended scent.
Oh, I to love perfumes! and I also like to leave mine on a silver platter of sorts as well...I probably need to put them in some dark place now that I have read this very informative post:)) Delightful...
Hello! Loving "my" scent of Glow by Jennifer Lopez.... the first time I bought it - smelled very classy... the store stopped selling it in town and bought the 2nd bottle on e-bay (said it was new). But doesn't smell exactly the same... wonder if it's a little old? It doesn't smell bad- just a hint of... citrus? What do you think- could it be old?
love,
Arielle
Hey Cait! Do you maybe want to exchange email addresses so we can chat about food? =]
The easiest one to reach me at is mandie.elmore@cornerstone.edu
Post a Comment